The Essential Guide: Lift and Shift to the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
Author: Olivia Maengkom Sales Consultant @Quistor
In the wake of Covid-19 these are the key actions a CEO should take to get value from the cloud computing:
- Accelerate their journey to the cloud in order to digitize more quickly and effectively.
- The transition to cloud computing represents a collective-action problem, one that requires a coordinated effort across teams at the top of an organization.
- The right operating model combines cloud-based digital technologies with agile operational capabilities in an integrated, well-sequenced approach to rapidly accelerate digital strategy and transformation.
Recognize the picture above? Whilst most enterprises have been embracing Software as a Service (SaaS) for the past decade and have experienced a transparent TCO and a positive ROI within a year, those same enterprises don’t realize that investing in Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) will give them an even greater advantage.
Here is the secret: where the SaaS offering complements your applications, the PaaS offerings extends those applications and the IaaS offering optimizes those applications.
My colleague Jack van den Brink previously mentioned this in our last QPulse edition:
Nucleus Research (global provider of ROI focused technology research) found the ROI of cloud deployments to on-premise has increased by more than 50%. Cloud deployments deliver 3.2 times the ROI of on-premise ones and on average have 2.3 times lower TCO compared with on-premise deployments. Below you can find the example of TCO of Migration to Cloud IaaS over 3 years.
Aware of the benefits above? You might recognize the challenges below:
- You have tried to rewrite your business-critical applications from the ground up to run in the cloud in a PaaS model, but it only achieved some computational efficiency as well as integration with other cloud services, not to mention that it’s a costly and time-consuming process.
- It’s nearly impossible to retrofit your existing applications to run in the cloud; migration to cloud is a huge challenge.
- You have been waiting to make the cloud transition, but your current IT provider has insisted on keeping the workloads on-premise, due to performance and predictability concerns.
- You are tired of continuously updating customized on-premises infrastructure and operating with disconnected business applications.
- You need to eliminate CapEx and cut OpEx.
We understand that making the decision to move your business-critical applications to IaaS & PaaS is a different process in comparison to SaaS. Migration to the cloud must be secure and deliberate, running in the cloud is very disruptive and quite frankly, can’t happen overnight. Quistor will make it simple for you, depending on the size of your enterprise, we can help you with your Lift & Shift or Move & Improve project within 2 - 6 months. (More about the difference between Lift & Shift and Move & Improve in the whitepaper.)
If your organization still runs the Oracle applications (E-Business Suite, JD Edwards, PeopleSoft, Siebel & Hyperion) or any other applications (SAP, Microsoft etc.) on-premise or off-premise in non-cloud environments, but you want to move those applications to the cloud, this 5-steps guidance is for you! You’ll also read about the long-term benefits and some specific customer stories in the whitepaper.
Sources: Forbes, Gartner, McKinsey, Nucleus Research, Oracle, People, RackWare, Quistor
Before you go
Feel free to ask us any questions, ask for more information or simply say hello in this contact form.